Technical Education Program
We partner with organizations to provide the highest quality education and training programs to smallholder farmers throughout the Philippines. These programs ensure that farmers have access to the technical training they need to become leaders in their farming communities. Since 2015 we have hosted multiple training programs and educated over 300 Filipino farmers in basic seed saving, permaculture design principles, culinary practices, financial management, computer literacy, and held a training of trainers program in 2017. Our signature training program is Seed School:Seed School is designed to offer a comprehensive yet accessible overview of the history, science, business, and craft of saving seeds. In 2015 we facilitated the first Seed School in the Philippines. Since then over 100 smallholder farmers in rural communities in the Philippines have participated in Seed School. As a result of the Seed School, twenty farmers have formed The Benguet Association of Seed Savers and have each reported saving $100 USD (over 10% of their annual earnings) in 12 months as a result of access to our technical training programs.
If you are interested in hosting a Seed School or other programs in your community please contact us at info @ globalseedsavers.org
- Hosted 4 Seed Schools in the Philippines since 2015. Educating 200 farmers about seed saving.
- Hosted two-day introduction to permaculture course educating 30 farmers about permaculture design.
- Hosted culinary training program connecting 30 farmers, chefs, and students to locally produced organic food.
- Held two-day Training of Trainers Course for 30 farmers preparing them to teach future Seed Schools.
- Our farmers have completed over 1000 hours of technical education and training programs.
- Our farmers produce organic food and seeds for over 40,000 people.
- Distributed over 150 packets of organic seeds to small holder farmers in the last two years.